Top 10 Moscow and St. Petersburg's attractions
Frugal Travel Attraction Picks:
- Kremlin and Red Square, Moscow - Immense, fortified compound of churches & palaces, with museums of Russian state regalia & art.
- Lenin's Mausoleum, Moscow - Pyramid-shaped stone building, opened in 1930, with a memorial hall holding Lenin's sarcophagus.
- Bolshoi Theatre, Moscow - Lavish neoclassical repertory theater housing Russia's world-famous Bolshoi Ballet & Bolshoi Opera
- Armory Chamber, Moscow - Armory museum in a Kremlin-style building with exhibits ranging from weapons to jewelery.
- State Historical Museum, Moscow - Imposing neo-Russian building of 1881, displaying prehistoric relics, Romanov dynasty art & more.
- Cathedral of Christ the Saviour, Moscow - Gleaming domes top this Catholic edifice, rebuilt in the 1990s, with ornate, fresco-lined interior.
- State Hermitage Museum, Saint Petersburg - Museum founded by Catherine the Great, housing huge collections of art, culture & antiquities.
- Peterhof, Saint Petersburg - Seafront museum complex in former royal palace surrounded by parkland known for its many fountains.
- Winter Palace, Saint Petersburg - Colonnaded, waterfront, former residence of Russian emperors, with extravagant state rooms.
- Savior on the Spilled Blood, Saint Petersburg - Gleaming mosaics & marble line this richly decorated 1880s church topped with colorful onion domes